Connect with us

Entertainment

Ofcom to investigate Big Brother and Loose Women

By Mary O'Connor, news reporter

Ofcom, the TV watchdog, has launched an investigation into episodes of Celebrity Big Brother and Loose Women.

It received 25,257 complaints after Roxanne Pallett claimed housemate Ryan Thomas had physically abused her on Celebrity Big Brother.

Thomas, who went on to win the Channel 5 show, was accused of punching her in an episode on 30 August.

Winner Ryan Thomas leaves the Celebrity Big Brother house. Pic: Ian West/PA Wire
Image: Ryan Thomas went on to win this year's Celebrity Big Brother

Many viewers defended the Coronation Street actor as play-fighting and criticised Pallett for trivialising domestic abuse.

The former Emmerdale actress, who slept in a spare bedroom after claiming she was uncomfortable sleeping in the same room as Thomas, decided to leave the house on 1 September. Thomas was later given a formal warning.

In an interview with host Emma Willis two days later, Pallett apologised to Thomas for making a "horrible mistake" before saying she was the "most hated girl in Britain".

Roxanne Pallett accused Ryan Thomas of deliberately hitting her in the Celebrity Big Brother house
Image: Pallett later apologised to Thomas for her 'horrible mistake'

Viewers voiced offence and concern at Pallett's claims and the way the situation was handled by the show.

Ofcom will examine whether "appropriate information" was shown by Channel 5 which may have assisted "in avoiding or minimising offence" to viewers.

An Ofcom spokeswoman said: "We are investigating whether this programme broke our rules on offensive content."

Coleen Nolan, Janet Street-Porter and Kim Woodburn
Image: Viewers accused Nolan and her co-hosts of ganging up on Kim Woodburn (right)

The watchdog is also investigating the Loose Women panel's treatment of Kim Woodburn, after receiving 7,900 viewer complaints.

The former How Clean Is Your House? presenter clashed with Coleen Nolan and later walked off the set in tears.

Coleen Nolan said she 'stayed as calm as possible'
Image: Nolan said she 'stayed as calm as possible' during the Loose Women row

Woodburn was invited on the panel show by ITV bosses for a "reconciliation" with Nolan after the women previously argued on an earlier series of Celebrity Big Brother.

Viewers accused Nolan and other members of the panel, which included Linda Nolan, Janet Street-Porter and Linda Robson, of "ganging up" on Woodburn.

A statement posted on Nolan's Twitter account on 6 September said she was taking a break after being subjected to a "horrifying torrent of online abuse".

It also said the singer's words and actions had been misrepresented.

An announcement from Coleen. (Tour Team x) pic.twitter.com/wi50RdMuws

— Coleen Nolan (@NolanColeen) September 6, 2018

The news follows today's Ofcom ruling that ITV's Good Morning Britain (GMB) breached its broadcasting code when presenter Piers Morgan refused to read a council's response to a segment about a homeless SAS veteran, saying he couldn't "be bothered".

Morgan was interviewing ex-soldier Bob Curry on 22 January about a petition calling on Hertfordshire County Council to give him social housing.

Morgan, who called Curry "a national hero", refused to read the council's response, and told it to "stick your statements and get action and get him a council home today".

Piers Morgan arrives at Old Church
Image: Piers Morgan refused to read out the statement from Hertfordshire County Council after interviewing veteran Bob Curry

The council said it was treated unfairly because its views were not represented.

ITV argued it had contacted the council multiple times and been sent a generic statement, which it published online.

Ofcom upheld the council's claim, stating that "Mr Morgan's decision to dismiss the Council's statement outright and not read it, or to reflect in summary what it said in response, meant that at no point in this programme was the council's view reflected".

More from OFCOM

  • Ofcom joins calls for independent internet regulation

  • Teenagers watching an hour of YouTube every day

  • EE fined £2.7m for overcharging tens of thousands of customers

"As a consequence, we considered that viewers were not provided with an opportunity to understand the council's position and that this had the clear potential to materially and adversely affect viewers' opinions of the council in a way that was unfair."

In a tweet, Morgan called the ruling "ridiculous", adding: "Why should I read out bull**** self-serving statements from a council that failed to house a homeless SAS hero until we bullied them into doing it?"

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Roberts ‘proud’ to use star power to launch projects

Julia Roberts has opened up about using her star power to get projects off the ground and says she takes joy in being able to get projects over the hump.

The 50-year-old actress, who has her first leading role on television in the new Amazon Prime series Homecoming, said: "There's something that makes me really joyful when I believe in something and I love it so much, if it is in a place of not being able to get over that hump to go, that if I can push that.

"It makes me feel really proud, because if I want to do it, it has to get to that next level."

"I think in terms of my pride, my proudest, happiest moment of feeling that way was doing a play on Broadway a number of years ago.

"When I was a young person my dad took me to the theatre all the time, and I thought it was so special and how many people came up to me after the play and said 'I've never seen a play on Broadway before and I never would have come if it weren't for you'.

"That was when I felt the happiest, that I had brought people to something that I thought was so special."

Homecoming is based on Eli Horowitz, and Micah Bloomberg's popular serialized audio podcast and stars Julia as a small-town waitress, Heidi, who left her previous employment as a caseworker at a titular agency which helps soldiers rejoin civilian life.

The upcoming show also stars Bobby Cannavale, Stephan James, Sissy Spacek, Alex Karpovsky, Shea Whigham and Jeremy Allen White, and is set to be released on Amazon Prime Video on November 2.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Corrie’s Sair Khan among leaked I’m a Celeb contestants

Coronation Street's Sair Khan, football manager Harry Redknapp and The Chase star Anne Hegerty are reportedly set to be joining the upcoming series of I'm A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here.

As the reality series prepares to kick off next month, speculation is rife over the well-known faces that will be taking to the jungle, and it looks like the first three contestants have been leaked.

Quiz personality Anne Hegerty is rumoured to be heading to the jungle

According to The Mirror, Anne Hegerty, aka The Governess, who is known for witty humour and matter-of-fact comments on the quiz show, is among the early campmates for the popular ITV show.

English football manager Harry Redknapp may be gearing up for some Bushtucker Trials

The entertainment outlet has claimed Harry Redknapp has been offered €100,000 to take part in the show. The former football manager was axed from his role with Birmingham City last year.

Corrie star Sair Khan may be heading to Australia for I'm a Celeb

Actress Sair Khan, who is best known for playing the role of Alya Nazir on the cobbles, is reportedly the third contestant who will be braving the Bushtucker Trials.

The trio are all said to be heading to Australia in the coming weeks ahead of the series' expected mid-November launch.

Holly Willoughby will be stepping into Ant McPartlin's shoes to co-host the new season of I'm A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! alongside Declan Donnelly.

The This Morning presenter commented on her new role: "I couldn't be more excited to have been asked to stand alongside Dec for the next jungle adventure. I love Ant and want to send him my best wishes and support for a continued recovery.

"These are big shoes, not to fill, but just to keep warm for a little bit… Honestly, I'm a huge fan of I'm a Celebrity and actually feel like I've won a competition to go and hang out on my favourite show! When is it a good time to tell Dec I'm scared of everything that moves?!"

McPartlin was charged with drink-driving earlier this year and was banned from driving for 20 months and fined £86,000.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Look! Filan shares cute throwback ahead of Croker gig

Westlife's Shane Filan has shared an adorable throwback picture of himself standing on the pitch of Croke Park, just a week after the band announced that they would be bringing their reunion tour to the venue.

Filan and his bandmates delighted fans with the news that they will take to the stage at Dublin's Croke Park next year – the same venue that played host to their farewell shows in 2012.

The Sligo singer is clearly excited about returning to the iconic venue, and took to social media to share a throwback snap from when he was seven years old, standing alongside his brothers on the playing field.

"With my 3 brothers Peter,Finbarr & Liam 32 years ago in Croke Park! By the look on my face I was dreaming about it then."

Westlife's Twenty Tour, which celebrates the group's 20th anniversary, will kick off in Belfast on Friday, May 24, with the tour concluding in Croke Park on Friday, July 5.

pic.twitter.com/Z5DInB05Tq

— Westlife (@westlifemusic) October 3, 2018

For more music news and reviews, click here

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Mel C reckons singing lessons key to reunion tour

Mel C has convinced the Spice Girls to take singing lessons ahead of their reunion tour.

It was recently confirmed that the band's highly-anticipated comeback is "definitely" happening minus Victoria Beckham.

The remaining group are reportedly set to land around €13 million each for 13 British shows and Mel C aka 'Sporty Spice' has asked her colleagues to work on their vocals for the gigs.

According to The Sun newspaper, Mel is worried as the group have not sang together in years and believes it is ''crucial they take the performance side of the money-spinning return very seriously''.

Mel has also taken it upon herself to oversee the musical arrangements and is helping the live band to update their classic hits.

Earlier in the week, Victoria Beckham revealed that seeing Elton John in concert made her realise that performing with the Spice Girls again was not a runner.

It is understood that Beckham will not be involved with the upcoming reunion tour planned by the other band members, Emma Burton, Geri Horner, Mel B and Mel C.

"I was with Elton John this weekend and I told him, 'You're the reason why I stopped the Spice Girls,'" she told the November issue of Vogue Australia magazine.

It is understood that Beckham will not be involved with the upcoming reunion tour planned by the other band members, Emma Burton, Geri Horner, Mel B and Mel C.

"I was with Elton John this weekend and I told him, 'You're the reason why I stopped the Spice Girls,'" she told the November issue of Vogue Australia magazine.

For more music news and reviews, click here

Continue Reading

Entertainment

18 Perfect Gifts For Your Friend Who Lives in Leggings

If you have a friend who pretty much lives in activewear, treat them to cute new pieces for their workout-inspired wardrobe. To save you time, we searched and curated a list of the cutest and most functional pieces out right now. From cool sneakers to cute gym bags, you might even end up wanting a few for yourself. Take a look.

Related: 15 Affordable Gifts For the Most Active People in Your Life, Because Workouts Are Expensive

Continue Reading

Trending